I Paid for a Vacation in Cash for the First Time

Posted on
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

I’m one of those people who fell into a credit trap straight out of college and even when I was making good money I immediately begin spending beyond my means. I’m paying for it now and I’ve been really strict with paying down my debt. There are struggles but one of the things I never thought I’d be able to do while paying off my debts is pay for large purchases such as a vacation. Since my plan I’ve been taking staycations but I decided to go out on a limb and try my hardest to go on a vacation using cash only… and I did it!

So, what did I do. I calculated how much it would costs over and over again. Went through it with a fine tooth comb. I feel like at one point I was looking at flights every single day hoping there would be a sale. I also planned out my pay to see how long it would take and how much I’d need to set aside from each pay. If that meant I couldn’t go on vacation in May its okay I could go in October. I also was not allowed to purchase any piece of the trip until I had the funds. Every thing that I was going to do on the trip that could be paid for beforehand was done as well. For example, I didn’t wait to figure out transportation when I get there. I purchased every shuttle before so I wouldn’t be strapped for cash and use my credit card.

This was the best feeling ever when I saw I was able to do it without those good old credit cards. If it worked so well this time I know I can continue making better choices like this!

Congratulations! Your planning and hard work paid off! This might be your most enjoyable vacation ever as you will not have any of those nagging feelings of worry or stress each time you make a purchase. It is all paid for. Enjoy your travels!

OMG how exciting! That’s definitely a huge accomplishment! Like Stacey said, now you can actually relax and enjoy your vacation, since you won’t be stressed about paying off the trip later. Love that you purchased EVERYTHING beforehand and factored each of those components into your savings goal. VERY VERY smart lady! I think I need to take a look at my vacation savings account and add a little more to it now! 🙂

It was great and an even better feeling to hand the concierge my debit card instead of my credit card at check in!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Manage your debt’ is closed to new topics and replies.