Worrying About Retirement

Posted on
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

I never really thought about retirement that much. Then after my parents were both gone in 2005 and I turned 50 years old, I suddenly started looking a this issue. I have the advisor my family has used for years and he has been very helpful. Still, especially after the economy crash in 2008 and I watched my portfolio numbers drop, I worry about whether my husband and I will have enough money to retire in comfort without worries. I want us to be able to enjoy our retirement. Now at 60 years old, retirement is getting ever closer. I want my husband to retire in the next 2 years. We are pretty lucky since he will have 2 pensions, I have a pretty good investment portfolio and we have very little debt and no children. Still, I find myself being afraid to spend on luxury items or do things we want to do because I’m worried about saving for all the “just in case” possibilities. But what good is your money if you don’t spend some of it to enjoy life? Does anyone have any advice on how to balance spending to enjoy life now vs. saving to make sure the future is secure? The phantom of 2008 still haunts me – what happens if that (or worse) happens again? I know we can’t live in fear, but it’s hard to know what to do these days.

Robin, I feel your pain! Since we are still working, we are still spending (and saving). But the unknown can be scary and 2008 haunts me as well. I have watched my parents go through cycles in their retirement of saving, downsizing, and selling a vacation home, but now at age 80 they seem to be more comfortable with some spending and are traveling more. When I feel uncertain, I constantly go back to my plan.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Save for retirement’ is closed to new topics and replies.