What's your financial New Year's resolution?

Posted on ,
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

I’m inspired by the story I just read about one woman who did a “no spend year” and saved over $20,000. I probably can’t be as disciplined as she was, but I think I can take a step in the right direction.

My resolutions for 2017:
    – I will spend ZERO money on my financial Achilles heel: shoes, purses, and other wardrobe items.
    – No new tech gadgets (I already have a phone, tablet, and ereader – and they all work. No need for the latest model!)
    – No new home furnishings. I have what I need, anything more would just be extra “stuff.”

How about you? Please share your financial New Year’s resolutions!

I’m focusing on my credit card this year. 2017 will be the year I pay off my balance on time and in full every month.

I bought a vacation home two years ago, putting a portion of it on my line of credit (secured by my home) so that I would not have to sell investments. Big mistake because my credit rating cratered! It turns out that the credit rating agencies do not count these lines of credit secured by mortgages like they do mortgages. They count them like credit card limits and deduct points on your score if you use more than 25-30% of your limit. So….my 2017 resolution is to make aggressive payments on this line of credit to get the balance back to 25% of the limit, and thereby regain a good credit rating (“good” is over 750).

My goal this year is to increase my retirement savings. I just found out that I am able to sock away a bit more than I am. I also want to see about paying off a bit more on our mortgage. Can you tell that I have retirement on the mind? Both of these goals mean that we will be cutting back on travel this year.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Grow your savings’ is closed to new topics and replies.