Upgrades that increase your home value

Posted on , ,
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Now that I’ve been in my home for almost two years, I’ve got some ideas of what I’d like to do. Before moving in we took care of a few of the cosmetics by painting the interior, removing some kitchen cabinets to open up the look of the area (adding some lighting in the area) and pulling up the ugly pink carpeting and putting new floors down. All of these things made the house liveable and weren’t terribly expensive.

Now it’s time to look at improvements that not only make it “MY” home, but also increase the value.

Here’s what I’d like to do this year
    1. Paint the exterior
    3. Add a fence – although I’ve been toying with the idea of a living fence (I can see into my neighbor’s screened porch).
    3. Add planks to the outdoor overhang (it’s currently a popcorn ceiling which is peeling)
    4. Overhaul the bathrooms – the guest bathroom needs to be tiled (it’s got linoleum from the ’80s)
    5. Update the lighting fixtures – 2 baths & front hall

Some of these are inexpensive (the fixtures) and others are a bit more, but we’re not talking about doing anything in the 5 figures.

Those who have upgraded/updated

What upgrades did you do that made a difference in increasing your homes value and which (in retrospect) were a waste of money?

They say the best home investment is upgrading the kitchen, but that is a big one. We have done a lot to our home – Replaced all of the windows, exterior paint, put in swimming pool and a backyard entertaining area (barbecue, fireplace, tv, patio cover). By far we have spent the most in the yard, though that is not a great investment! The windows and painting are more in line with money that is worth spending (in terms of hoe investment). That being said – we love our backyard and enjoy it all year round.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Buy a house’ is closed to new topics and replies.