Stock as a Christmas gift for kids

Posted on
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

I’m almost sad to say that I didn’t even know this was a ‘thing’, but a friend of the family decided to gift my daughters’ shares of stock (via the website Stockpile) instead of the traditional dolls, clothes, etc. As a financial nerd, I think the gift is amazing! The problem is, at 2 and 4 years old, I don’t know that my little ones are old enough to learn a lesson from the gift…nor do I know what I should have them invest in.

Anyone else ever received a similar gift that can provide some guidance?

Hi Kelby, this is a tricky one. I tried to see what investments they allow, but their site is so oriented toward getting you to buy the gift card that I could not find much detail on that. Hopefully they have a “basket” of stocks you can invest in so that you are diversified. Or put the gift card in the back of your sock drawer and hope this start up becomes Amazon some day.

I like the strategy Carla has. If there is no expiration date I think it would be good to hold onto until the girls can make a decision especially if its an amount thats not too large and can wait a bit.

I agree! I think I’ll just hold on to the gift card for a while and see if a better opportunity presents itself in the future.

I love the idea of gifting kids money or some kind of investment that will grow in the future. I can’t wait for our little one to get old enough to understand the basic concepts of saving up for things and teaching her financial lessons along the way!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Build your investments’ is closed to new topics and replies.