Sometimes You Just Need to Earn More

Posted on
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

Effective budgeting allows you to stretch your money, but sometimes no matter how far you stretch, it still does not work. Sometime you just need to earn more.

This is the position that I found myself in after my divorce. I simply did not have the income to sustain my expenses. The first order of business was to move. After selling our home, I found a smaller more affordable place. While that was a huge improvement to my overall financial situation, I was just covering the basics, and I was not able to save enough for retirement. I needed to earn more.

I will admit – leaving a beloved job, one that I held for 15 years was a huge change and the decision was not made easily. It involved updating my resume, searching for openings, and interviewing. All the while knowing that I would be leaving a workplace that felt like family. However, it was a necessity.

Five years later I can say that I love my new job. I am still close with my former colleagues and see them often. I have adjusted to a new environment, a new culture, and have made new friends. I also increased my income by 30%. Yes, that was a huge jump in income. When people ask me why I left my former position, the honest answer is money. I simply needed to make more money to ensure my financial future.

Asking for raises, changing jobs – all of that can be scary, but it might be the answer, because sometimes you just need to earn more.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • The forum ‘My journey’ is closed to new topics and replies.