Replacement for ACA

Posted on
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

I hope this is the right forum for this question. I didn’t know where else to put it.
    I’ve been trying to follow the news about the repeal and replacement of the Affordable Care Act. I’m self-employed and I get my health insurance through the Exchange, so this is very relevant to me. If I understand the latest news correctly, the following ACA features are staying:
    – the pre-existing conditions policy
    – 10 essential health benefits
    – prohibitions on yearly and lifetime limits.
    That’s the good news. But, like many others, I’m very worried about what plans will even be available – and affordable, moving forward. In my county, right now, there’s only one provider. There’s so much uncertainty about what happens next.

Health insurance is a big part of my peace of mind. Is there anything I can do about this from a financial planning perspective?

From a financial planning perspective, Lisa, I’m concerned that changes will occur so quickly that states don’t have a chance to adjust and people get stranded without coverage. The immediate issue for you, I think, is budget related. Plan for much more health expense in the next year or so than than you might have budgeted. Leave a bigger cushion for these expenses (reducing something else) and you’ll be able to weather these changes without too much disruption to your overall financial picture.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Manage your debt’ is closed to new topics and replies.