Life Changes

Posted on ,
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

When it rains, it definitely pours. I’m going through some serious life changes, including a breakup, a big move, and an insanely jam-packed work schedule. I’ve been a lot better about watching my spending and focusing on saving for large experiences, like travel, but these last few months have been harder for me. Between buying new furniture, decorating the new apartment, and eating out way too often since I still haven’t finished packing.

Any advice from y’all on how to stay on task/justify spends amidst big life changes?

Hi Josh,

I completely understand how you feel and I’m going through something similar. When it comes to justifying the spend just be okay with knowing that you are purchasing because its a NEED and that there are funds to cover it. If you have to take it out of a savings account that’s okay because that is what savings is for. I used to feel like I was going to throw up any time I had to make a large purchase or fund a big project but its all a need!

I hope this brings you a little peace of mind.

Josh, when I went through my divorce and needed to move and set up a new household I gave myself a strict cash budget. Money was very tight and uncertain at that time. But I did go out and buy new furniture and decor to set up and make my new place feel like home. It was important to me to set up my new life and feel good about it. So while I was spending money on non-necessities (in the true sense of need vs. want), they were purchases that emotionally set me up to move forward. But like I said, I had a set budget of cash. When it was gone – it was gone, and I was not going to use credit to set up my new home. Good luck! Life changes can be empowering.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘My journey’ is closed to new topics and replies.