How Frugal is Too Frugal?

Posted on , ,
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

I’m all about trying to find ways to save money, but I know there is a point of diminishing returns. The problem — for me, at least — is figuring out exactly where to draw that line. Case in point: I’m planning to attend a few (like seven to ten) conferences in 2018 and, as a way to save some money, was considering driving to each one and tent camping at a state or national park, instead of flying and staying at a hotel.

My fuzzy, back-of-the-napkin math shows that I’d save a few hundred dollars per trip. That’s at least $1500 or so for the year…which is pretty significant. My wife thinks I’m crazy, but she’s onboard with the idea — however reluctant. What do you all think? Have any of you done anything similar to save money?

I think it’s all about establishing your priorities. Obviously the conferences are important to you, but could those $1500 in savings be better spent on something other than hotel stays? If the answer is yes, then heck yea I think you’re doing the right thing by trying to find ways to save money. But yea, I definitely agree that it’s hard to figure out where to draw that line. Best of luck!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Grow your savings’ is closed to new topics and replies.