Can you talk your credit card company into giving you a lower APR?

Posted on
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

I’m not a good negotiator by nature. I get stressed out by confrontation. So, having a script helps me when it’s time to negotiate anything. Here’s a script from Lifehacker.com that anyone can use to negotiate a lower interest rate with a credit card company: “Hello. Lately, I’ve been really having to stretch my finances to make the monthly payments on this credit card, and I need to reduce the interest rate somehow. It would be convenient to keep the balance on this card, but I have some other options that could really save me some money – a zero interest balance transfer offer is sitting right here, for one. Could you reduce the interest rate on my account to, say, 9.9%?”

I haven’t tried this myself yet, but I hope it helps someone!

I did not have luck asking for a lower rate, but I did have luck with the mail offers at 0%. So don’t ignore the mail and then transfer the higher balances to the lower rates.

I had luck a few years ago. Discover was the easiest to work with me. Also if you offer to freeze your balance, not use the card, they are more willing to work with someone.

I haven’t had luck with lowering my rate. I got some script about them using a flat APR for everyone. =[ I will be transferring my balance.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Manage your debt’ is closed to new topics and replies.