7 Reasons You Should Take A “No Spend Month”?

Posted on ,
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

A few of us here in the community have been talking about what it means to take a “No Spend Month.” The conversation was started by Stacey, who posted that she and her husband take a No Spend Month several times a year.

What is a No Spend Month? In essence, it is:
    – A month-long break from your normal spending patterns
    – You may spend money on groceries or other necessities
    – But you may not spend money on new clothes, entertainment, travel, dining out, or any other luxuries.

Does abstinence from shopping sound like a hardship? Maybe – but Stacey says there are many excellent reasons to do a No Spend Month:

1. You’ll save money. (Duh.)
    2. You’ll be forced to be more creative with your free time. There are many ways to enjoy quality time either alone or with loved ones, and not all of them involve spending money! For example, says Stacey, if you normally enjoy a long drive along the coast capped by dinner at a nice restaurant, you might choose instead to hike a local trail and pack a picnic. Instead of Happy Hour at the local pub, she and her girl friends do potluck appetizers and wine in her backyard. “We always have just as much fun,” Stacey says.
    3. You’ll be reminded of all the things you do have. Being in spending mode fixes your attention on all the things you want, but don’t yet have – a recipe for dissatisfaction. But when you take a No Spend Month, you suddenly realize you’re surrounded by abundance. “Taking a break from the constant wants and focusing instead on needs allows me to feel grateful for everything I already have,” says Stacey. “It’s a joyful, mindful approach to saving,” says Nora, a SUM180 member. “I love it.”
    4. You’ll discipline yourself to spend less in general. “I think this is just what I need,” says AnnMarie, a SUM180 member. “I tend to spend a little too much on items that I don’t really need but want. If I could learn to curb my spending, I’d be doing so much better overall.” A No Spend Month is particularly good practice if you’re simplifying your budget in preparation for retirement. “I’m definitely at the stage where I am trying to cut down costs as much as possible,” says Dionne, another SUM180 member. “Over the past couple of months, I’ve cut down on my spending, but implementing a No Spend Month here and there might really discipline me a lot.”
    5. Like a juice fast, but for spending. Taking a break from our usual spending patterns helps us become aware that so much of what we spend our money on are “wants,” not “needs.” In fact, the simple exercise of sorting your wants from your needs for a whole month can be a real eye-opener, all by itself. If you’ve fallen into careless spending habits, a No Spend Month is a way to hit the reset button and “cleanse” yourself of those bad habits. This is an opportunity to establish new patterns, if you wish.
    6. You’ll feel like a savings rock star when the month ends. “I’ve taken a no-spend week before and there is a sense of accomplishment and groundedness from it,” says SUM180 CEO Carla Dearing. “So, a whole month must be even better!”
    7. Bonus: At the end of the month, you can take your savings and put them towards your financial goals.

Would you take a No Spend Month?”

The idea of a “reset” or “reboot” is great. I’ve done the same thing with coffee – dropped it for a while. It really makes you appreciate that next cup!

I also will have a no coffee or no lunch out month! It is easier in the summer so I take advantage and bank up my less months so I can have more during the dark damp winter months,

I actually disagree with taking no-spend anything for the vast majority of people. They seem to be billed as (for the most part) a one-stop fix all for broken budgets instead of a way to boost savings. In reality, they are a crutch to help people get through a tough time, but for the majority, they do little to fix the actual issue that got them into budget trouble in the first place.

Bad spending habits. For people or families that have a spending issue, no amount of no-spend anything is going to fix their finances.

(I will concede that this isn’t true for all people and that some folks do benefit from them, but it is my opinion that it is true for an overwhelming majority.)

I am in the middle of my one month “no spend month” and actually find it empowering and enlightening. As you point out, it forces you to be creative in so many ways. I put together new outfits from old favorites, reach for a book on the bookshelf that I never got around to reading, and use other “found objects” from around the house.

OMG I’ve heard of no spend months and I think the concept is so wonderful! Don’t know that I could go a whole month without spending any money, but I think the hubby and I could at least last a week! It’s amazing how much stuff we end up buying on the weekends that we don’t really need, so I think I’ll schedule one of these no spend weeks in the near future to help save us a few hundred bucks! Thanks for the idea!

Okay, July 1st is coming up so I know what I’ll be doing!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Grow your savings’ is closed to new topics and replies.