Second home options

Posted on , , ,
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Let me begin by saying that we don’t have a lot of money, but I’m a New Englander living in Florida. I’ve begun thinking that after 12 years of living here year round, that rather than take our two vacations a year up north and spending all of that money on hotels that I’d like to have little place to call our second home. It doesn’t have to be big, but it does have to be easy to maintain since we won’t be local for much of the year.

I’ve considered:
    Timeshares (limits when we can use it)
    Condos (don’t want those fees)
    A small cottage or bungalow
    A mobile home

While a mobile home would be the least expensive, I’d also like the option to rent it on airbnb or something like that while I’m away. I’m not sure if a mobile home is rentable to vacationers. If you have a second home that you bought creatively (maybe splitting it with another family member or a fixer-upper) and have any ideas, I’d love to hear them.

I think the timeshare could be a great option because if its transferable you won’t be limited to vacationing in one place up north. If you purchased a home and decided to go away to somewhere else from time to time you’d still be spending more money than you wished.

Another option is to buy something together with a family member or friend. I know people worry about doing that but I share a vacation home with my favorite uncle and it works great. When Hurricane Matthew hit last year, he was closer and was able to deal with the details. And what wasn’t covered by insurance was split two ways.

Thank you both for the great ideas.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Buy a house’ is closed to new topics and replies.