Relative Asking For Money

Posted on
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

So this is a little bit of a sensitive topic, but has anyone ever had to deal with a relative asking for money? If so, how have you guys handled that? Loan them the amount? Gift it to them? Not give it at all? My husband and I work really hard for all the money that we have and in the next few months, our income is going to be changing since I’ll be working part-time once our baby arrives. We’re also still working to pay off some debt. Am I a bad person for not wanting to give anyone else money? Does that make me a bad family member and friend? I just feel like mixing family and money is always a bad idea, but at the same time, I feel a bit guilty. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Oh gosh, this is a touchy subject for sure. SUM180 CEO Carla Dearing actually wrote a blog post about it a few months ago. Carla’s advice, if you’re uncomfortable for any reason, is to find a way to gracefully and firmly say no. Refusing to lend money you can’t afford to spare doesn’t make you a bad person. You HAVE to take care of yourself financially before you can be in a position to help others! And, after all, there are other ways to be supportive and helpful. Anyway, you can read Carla’s blog post here: Lending money to family or friends: Should you do it, and if so, how?

Lending money to family or friends: Should you do it, and if so, how?

I don’t think that makes you a bad person at all. I always only give as much as I can stand to not have anymore and thats ONLY if I really want to give at all. They have other resources. You don’t have to be one of them. They will figure it out.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘SUM180: Our story’ is closed to new topics and replies.