IRA Saving

Posted on
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

One of my next steps include setting up a self funded retirement account via a IRA. Its been a long time since I invested with an IRA. Could someone refresh me as to the terms. Is it a one time lump sum investment, or are there monthly contributions? I am so excited to get my next steps started so I can move on to my next recommendations.

Hi Melissa,

Great question! Most IRAs have a minimum investment you need to make to open the account. For example, if you open an IRA at Vanguard and invest it in a Target Date Fund, the minimum is $1,000. Other types of funds have different minimum investments. From there, you will want to schedule automatic withdrawals from your bank account on a regular basis. A monthly withdrawal is the best option because it a) allows you to set it up and forget about it and b) allows you to be buying into the underlying finds a little at a time. You could also do quarterly, though, if that works better for your situation.

Be careful to set up your contribution amounts with the maximum allowed investment in-mind. If you’re under 50, you can contribute up to $5,500 in an IRA each year. If you’re over 50, that amount is $6,500. As an example, if you’re under 50 and make a $1,000 initial investment, you’d want to spread the remaining $4,500 over 11 months, for example, at $375 per month.

I hope this helps! Please keep us posted as you work through your Next Steps.

Thank you so much Carla for the information! I am so excited to be on this journey that I literally had been sticking my head in the sand for years because I just did not know what direction to turn. I am thrilled with the site, it is truly life changing. I am so confident my future will be financially bright with Sum180 by my side. Thank you 🙂

That is wonderful to hear, Melissa, thanks! We know others will benefit from your experiences as well so keep your questions and thoughts coming!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Save for retirement’ is closed to new topics and replies.