How to save: Just don’t go there

Posted on ,
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

As I was working to follow my SUM 180 advice about increasing my savings account, I realized I had to change my browsing habits. Too often a window shopping trip to a local shop turned into a buying trip.

It was easy for me to skip the mall – I have no patience for traffic and prefer to shop local anyway. However, I still regularly walk by those beautiful shop windows because they are right next to the coffee shop where I had a work meeting. Out-of-the-way stores that required a special trip were easy to avoid, but I did have to exert some willpower to stay out of all the local shops.

The secret to success for me was giving myself permission to break the rules – occasionally. I do enjoy new jewelry and I like shopping for birthday presents and gifts. I buy a nice bar of soap or a small box of decadent chocolate if I feel like shopping. I limit myself to consumable stuff – meaning I can use it up and it’s gone, as opposed sitting on my desk or hanging in my closet.

Setting some limits and still allowing some fun has helped me change my spending habits and save more money.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • The forum ‘Grow your savings’ is closed to new topics and replies.