I love Lifehacker’s quick tips on how to do most things faster or cheaper. Here are their suggestions for negotiating a lower rent with your landlord. (It can’t hurt to ask!)
– Offer to pay for a few months in advance.
– Sign a longer lease.
– Agree to a longer notice time built into lease termination agreement.
– If you have a car, offer to give up your assigned parking space
– Promise not to smoke in the apartment. (Cleaning up smoke odor is an expense for the landlord when you move out.)
– Do they allow pets and you don’t have one? Promise not get a pet – that’s more savings for the landlord.
– Offer to exchange work, like mowing and maintaining your own lawn, for a reduced rent
– If they have low occupancy, can you make a deal for referring a friend to them?
Any renters out there? Have you ever successfully negotiated a lower rent? Do you have any suggestions to add?