Want to cut your cable bill? Start by knowing your viewing patterns

Posted on
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

I just read an article in Time titled How to Watch All the TV You Want Without Paying a Cable Bill.

I’m someone who flinches every month when the time comes to pay my cable bill. I don’t mind paying for extra for a hefty Internet data plan, but cable TV seems like a real luxury, especially since I rarely watch TV these days. On the other hand, I’m not sure I want to cut myself off completely from this source of popular entertainment.

So the piece in Time caught my attention. According to Time, I can cut my cable bill by almost $800 a year by switching to an alternative targeted to my specific TV viewing pattern. Apparently I fit the profile that Time calls a  “serial binger”:

If you have unpredictable tastes, but only focus on one show at a time, it might be most cost efficient to just buy all your television a la carte. For the price of a year of cable, the average viewer can buy 26 seasons of TV. Assuming these are all 45 minute shows with 14 episodes, that’s almost 300 hours of content. If you can’t ever imagine yourself watching more than that, then this plan is for you.

The Plan: Indoor TV antenna
    Price: $8.55 per year ($0.71 per month).
    Savings: $790.77 per year ($65.89 per month).

Intrigued? Read the entire Time article here to see their cost-savings advice for your viewing preferences.

Have you found a way to slash your cable bill? Please share your tips!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • The forum ‘Grow your savings’ is closed to new topics and replies.