Living Outside Means

Posted on ,
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

We’ve all done it at least once, at least I hope i’m not alone, in buying a car that’s a little outside our price range or getting an apartment that’s a little bigger than we actually need. Why? Because we think it’s what we need, but at the end of the day what we really need is stability. And living outside our means definitely does not provide that.

I’ve grown up enough to be able to realize and admit that I’ve definitely been living outside my means in more ways than one as of late. Any tips on how to scale back and get back in line with healthy spending?

I’m looking into this too and what I decided to do was look at big expenses I can scale back. My first thought is my car. It’s due to be turned in and instead of getting another one I’m considering going without one for 6 months to a year. That would get me back on track. If that isn’t an option I would take a look at things you have on auto renew and see what you can cut. I hope that helps!

OMG yes! My biggest regret as of late is having purchased a brand new car a few years ago. I still have $12,000 left to pay on my loan and every day I’m like, “Why on earth did I need a $20k+ car?” I definitely practice the “hide my money so I don’t think I have it” mantra, creating small savings accounts that money is automatically transferred into every paycheck. If I don’t see it easily, I don’t remember that I have it, and that makes it a lot easier to save.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Grow your savings’ is closed to new topics and replies.