Is It Okay To Establish A No-Christmas Presents Rule This Year?

Posted on
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The hubby and I are expecting our first child in um… 2 days! Anyway, over the past few months we’ve been spending like crazy because of all the expenses that come with having a baby. Given that she’s due now and Christmas is right around the corner, would it be okay to let our families know that we’re not exchanging gifts this year? Or maybe implement some kind of low-cost budget rule for presents?

I love Christmas and don’t really want to come across as a grinch, but the reality is, we just don’t have the money to buy the kinds of gifts our families are used to. Have any of you been in a similar position in the past? And if so, what did you do?

I’ve heard of families that do a secret Santa gift exchange in the sense that they draw names out of a hat and only have to buy a present for that one person. That might be an option. I’ve heard of others who set a strict $10-$20 gift budget for every person. That might be doable. Any other ideas?

I’d love to be able to enjoy this season without stressing so much about money and the finances of the whole thing! Any advice would be greatly appreciated 🙂

Two days? How exciting!!! I wouldn’t stress one bit about buying Christmas gifts, since the little bundle of joy will be a gift to the entire family. We faced a similar dilemma a few years ago when our oldest was born in early November. We didn’t buy any gifts and the family understood. I’m sure that’ll be the case with you, as well. And even if they don’t, you’ll be so busy with the baby that you won’t have time to care.

I’m doing this with my brothers and we will be splitting the cost of the gifts we get our parents this year. I think it is totally acceptable because it shouldn’t be about gift giving anyway. If they are super into giving gifts then I would just ask that they give to the baby if they really feel the need to give something.

I’m sure you won’t even feel the slightest bit bad once you see that little bundle of joy and know your new goals are for the baby! Congrats 🙂

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Grow your savings’ is closed to new topics and replies.