How much is that doggy in the window really going to cost me?

Posted on , , ,
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

We have two very large dogs; a standard size goldendoodle named Lucy and a Bernese mountain dog named Dakota. Together we have close to 200 pounds of dog running through our home! Both dogs came from breeders and that cost a pretty penny alone. We knew about that cost right off the bat, but the ongoing financial obligations of these dogs is more than I imagined.

Experts say that during the first year your new puppy will cost between $700 – $2,000. Our dogs cost much more! Our Dakota had health issues fairly early so there were even more vet bills than the typical puppy shots and well vet visits. Lucy has a sensitive stomach so she needs specially formulated dog food. As big furry indoor dogs, they get groomed monthly. When we go away, the pets need to be cared for. Since we like to travel, we have found that it is cheaper to bring in a house sitter than it is to board the dogs. But all of these costs add up quickly! No longer is a spontaneous weekend away with my husband very spontaneous!

Don’t get me wrong, I love our fur family members, but the costs, both financially and lifestyle wise, are real. As our pets are getting older, I am getting concerned about the potential for emergency vet bills – the ones that we have not planned for in our budget.

I have never purchased pet insurance and don’t know much about it. I am not sure if it would be good “investment” or not. Any thoughts on this topic? I’d love to get some advise.

I have not invested in pet insurance either. I asked my veterinarian about it, and he said that when it comes to older dogs with health problems (like mine), that it really doesn’t cover much.

Thanks, Zipporah. That is what I am finding out as I do more research. I found some information on http://www.petinsurancereview.com/ Thankfully my husband and I are on the same page when it comes to spending money on our pets’ health care.

Insurance was one of the first things I purchased when I got my puppy and I researched my butt off to make sure I had it in time for her spay. The time came and they denied the request and other things. I felt like I was scammed and ended up receiving my money back. Now, about a year later my dog ate raisins and a few months after that she almost died after an allergic reaction to a vaccine. I would’ve loved to have insurance to cover these issues but I truly don’t know if it would have helped in the long run if they didn’t cover it.

I don’t have a dog, but I do have a cat. He’s almost 7 years old, but unfortunately, he developed kidney issues even at his young age. What does that mean for us? Well, it means that 3 times a week we have to give him an IV with fluids to keep his organs functioning correctly. I love that little dude and right now, we can still afford his medication, but it’s expensive! We’re spending at least $150-$250 every month or two for all the stuff he needs. Pets are a major commitment and responsibility, but they’re so worth it. I’ve never had pet insurance, but I definitely think it’s worth looking into. Best of luck with your pups!

Kayla, you are right the commitment is huge – so is the love! I am glad that they can treat your cat. I am not sure that I could handle setting up an IV once, let alone three times a week. You are amazing, and your kitty is lucky to have you!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘My journey’ is closed to new topics and replies.