Diversification

Posted on ,
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

If there’s one thing I could tell my former self, before I jumped on the self-employed wagon, it would be to diversify my streams of income. The first couple of months, actually close to a year, were a little rough because I only focused on one revenue stream. Meaning that I wasn’t living up to my full potential because I had pigeonholed myself into one market. Over the years I’ve learned to diversify my income by taking on various projects across the board, and I couldn’t be more thankful for that.

What’s a bit of advice you’d tell your former self that would help set yourself up for further success in the present?

I would tell my former self to be brave about starting my own thing, and find teammates who complement my skill set and personality. Also, I would tell myself that becoming my own boss is a goal I can reach incrementally – that’s what nights and weekends are for!

Josh, I can relate to exactly what you’re saying. I made the same mistake about not diversifying my income when I started my business. Heck, two years in I still don’t think I’m diversified enough…but I’m working on it.

To answer your question, if I could give one piece of advice to my former self it would be to be patient. If I was to look back at some of the major mistakes that I’ve made over the last few years, the bulk of them were the result of acting in haste and not being patient enough to let things play out as they should.

I would tell my former self that 5 years from now the thing that I purchased really won’t mean anything in the future but debt. I also love that you mentioned diversifying your streams of income. That’s something I wish to do as well.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Grow your savings’ is closed to new topics and replies.