Capsule Wardrobe – Saving Money By Not Buying Tons Of Clothes

Posted on , ,
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Every January I go through my closet and separate clothes I haven’t worn in forever to donate to GoodWill. Today, I started that process, and it was shocking to me to see how much clothes I didn’t even remember I had – some pieces worn just once.

It’s crazy how much money we can spend on clothes. With every new season, there are tons of new trends, and it’s so easy to get sucked into thinking that we have to keep up with them all.

That’s why I’ve decided to build a capsule wardrobe. With a capsule wardrobe, I’ll be incorporating minimalist principles and building a wardrobe that consists of just a few key pieces that I can mix and match. If I need to buy a few additional pieces, I’ll make sure they’re good quality so that they’ll last a long time as opposed to buying items that are cheap but fade away or get ruined after one wash.

Now that I’m a new mom, this should be a whole lot easier to do given that I could totally wear the same thing every day and be ok with it! No need to have a million different outfits when I could really use the money elsewhere.

Has anyone tried this yet? Or any other tips/advice on saving money when it comes to buying clothes?

A little over a year ago I tried (what I believe was) a capsule wardrobe and only kept somewhere around 30-ish items of clothes for several months. I loved it, but somewhere along the way I began adding a few items here and there, and now my closet is pretty much back to the way it was when I started out. I just finished re-watching the Minimalism documentary on Netflix and have already started filling up trash bags with clothes that I plan to donate next week.

Hopefully, I can stick with it this time around!

Couldn’t agree with this idea more! Such a great concept, and I do the same myself. I think my years in retail made that habit a little easier.

I cut down to basics every season as the weather changes and donate everything I don’t wear/need to a shelter in my area.

Wow, Kayla, I was just talking with my sisters about doing this! They weren’t on board with the concept – it’s hard to break the shopping habit – but I think it’s a great way to save money and also be more mindful in general, and appreciate what we have.

Okay, this is genuinely no longer a publish that I should be writing thinking about my own purchasing craziness.

It should virtually be a person manner greater frugal who handiest owns 20 gadgets in her closet and handiest one pair of earrings or something.

Nevertheless, I study lots of fashion and fashion blogs, and each time I listen them list their purchases of 4 or five pairs of dressmaker shoes in a row (Louboutins, Manolo Blahniks, Jimmy Choos all at round $600 a pop), I suppose — HOW IN THE HOLY…!?

I definitely understand that their money can come from these arenas:

Advertising & Blogging — Obviously style/style running a blog pays more than PF running a blog particularly because you get better sponsors and you can get a lot greater readers posting about your self and your clothes
    Free Swag — Not certain if designers deliver out loose swag, however places like J. Crew, Modcloth, and so on probably do
    Side Businesses — “Free” advertising and marketing via their blogs, even as operating a 9-5
    REALLY good jobs — 6-figures a 12 months, I’m assuming
    Family/Spousal money — Possibly?

Even so. I am no longer totally positive that it’s a hundred% funded by means of stores.

So…HOW!?!?

GUESSING AT THE NUMBERS

I want they’d publish their non-public finances.

I realize they’re in all likelihood saving away a strong 10% of their internet profits every month, maxed out retirement funds, bla bla bla… but I’m simply one huge fat nosy parker and I’d like to see the numbers.

I’m simply questioning that in the event that they purchase five pairs of dressmaker shoes a month, at $500 every, that’s approximately $2500/month, and for a full year, that’s $30,000 internet a year, that’s roughly (mentally) interprets into approximately $50,000 gross income.

That’s an EXCELLENT gross income for an character, who would nonetheless should pay for rent, groceries, transportation, and so forth.
    UNREALISTIC SPENDING

For the alternative style bloggers who aren’t experts (blogger or otherwise) and earn less money, I marvel how they come up with the money for one of these dresser on their revenue.

It’s seems like they get new stuff every week.. And even I don’t try this.

(Mostly due to the fact I’ve been operating 10+ hour days in a compressed workweek lately and haven’t had time to be tempted..)

FRANKLY, IT MAKES ME WANT TO SPEND 😛

It does make me need to buy things, and I must in all likelihood unsubscribe to all in their blogs just for that reason, however like a moth to a flame….

I assume that have an impact on, is partially the cause why I spend more than I need to, if I wasn’t being tempted.

See, I am nicely conscious that what I spend, is unrealistic even for me.

Sometimes I take a look at my numbers and assume: WTF HAVE I BEEN DOING?

I are aware of it’s partially that I don’t own a automobile, a house, or consume out a lot that I channel that in any other case budgeted money in the direction of my Wardrobe rather, but I realistically can’t preserve up on $2000 of Wardrobe spending a month.

(And if I do, you ought to SLAP ME SILLY.)

….But inspite of that spending, I understand am very lucky to be earning a more-than-incredible profits, nonetheless aiming to keep 50% of my net profits and hoping to have a $250,000 on the quit of this 12 months.

That $2000 I spend every now and then, isn’t always my whole variable budget every month. I am no longer giving up basic things like Food and Shelter, to shop for garments by Vintig MarketPlace.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘My journey’ is closed to new topics and replies.