Calmer drivers save on gas

Posted on ,
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Turns out there’s more to saving on gas than finding the lowest gas prices in your area. A test by Edmunds.com showed we can get 35% better fuel mileage by switching from an aggressive to a more laid back driving style.

I guess this makes sense. Regularly slamming on the gas pedal pushes more fuel into the engine while keeping the engine running faster. On the other hand, we save gas by lifting our foot off the accelerator as soon as possible when approaching a yellow or red light or a stop sign. Another tip from Edmunds.com: using cruise control on the highway can also get us 14% better fuel economy. That’s because it cuts down on unnecessary speed changes, which eats fuel.

I generally drive pretty conservatively anyway – but I hope this tip helps others!

VC

I have to say this is one motivation I use to slow down on the freeway. I am always running late (another challenge I need to work on), so I am always rushing.

I remind myself that my blood pressure and my gas mileage will both be better off if I slow down and take deep breaths, instead of mashing on the gas and complaining about the other drivers.

Thanks for the reminder.

I have to say this is one motivation I use to slow down on the freeway. I am always running late (another challenge I need to work on), so I am always rushing.

I remind myself that my blood pressure and my gas mileage will both be better off if I slow down and take deep breaths, instead of mashing on the gas and complaining about the other drivers.

Thanks for the reminder.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Grow your savings’ is closed to new topics and replies.