Audit your beauty expenses: 5 ways to spend less

Posted on
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Okay, full disclosure. I had to do some serious research to write this post, because frankly, it’s not something that comes naturally. I’m frugal about things like entertainment or dining out, but I rarely think about my monthly beauty expenses as something to be actively managed. And, I’ll be honest – many of the beauty savings strategies I did learn made me cringe. As a woman over 45, I’d rather skip a few meals and scale back on my data plan than give up regular hair coloring or my favorite moisturizer!

My two cents: If you’re like me, a bad hair day can affect how confident you feel, which can affect your performance at work; depending on the industry in which you work, it can even affect how you’re perceived as a professional. Beauty expenses are not necessarily superficial or trivial, so cutting back on them should be done as thoughtfully as with any other expense category. If you are comfortable with DIY mani-pedis (as I am), great. Do that, and continue to get your hair colored at your favorite salon, as you see fit.

Check out this list of money-saving beauty measures that have worked for others. One or more of them may work for you – try them out and let us know!

1. Wash and blow-dry your hair every other day. We don’t really need to shampoo our hair every day, even if we exercise. Over-washing actually reduces shine and can dry the ends faster. Consider taking a break from heat treatments and frequent washing – you’ll save time, money, and spare your hair as well.

2. Stop coloring your hair – or color less frequently. This one move can save you a hundred or more dollars a month (much more in large cities). A compromise, if you can’t quit coloring altogether: instead of full color, get highlights, which can last for much longer, since they look good growing out, and are often less expensive as well.

Do your homework. Sometimes you can find an inexpensive pharmacy brand that you love just as much as the designer beauty brand.

3. DIY mani-pedis. Getting a manicure and pedicure every month can really add up. Think about purchasing the equipment you need and doing the work at home yourself. Think of it as “me time” – or invite your girlfriends over for a fun mani/pedi party.

4. Deal with unwanted hair at home. Do you really have to pay a professional to get your hair waxed or professionally removed? If not, consider using bleaching cream or using an epilator instead.

5. Find affordable alternatives to department store beauty products. Do your homework, study labels carefully, and try samples for free at stores like Sephora. You may find beauty products you love for a fraction of the price at your local pharmacy. Or, try common pantry or refrigerator items such as mayonnaise, olive oil, lemon juice, and egg whites instead of commercial products – these food items can often do double duty for your skin and hair.

How do you save on beauty products and services? Share your strategies, please!

I have read that “wash your hair every other day” advice many times. I think that one is definitely falls in the “works for you, but not for me” category.

I have definitely cut back on highlights to save money and I only get pedicures for special occasions. I go without otherwise, because I don’t have the skill or the patience to DIY.

But I think your initial advice is perfect: “Beauty expenses are not necessarily superficial or trivial, so cutting back on them should be done as thoughtfully as with any other expense category.” Beauty standards create so much pressure for women – whatever makes us feel confident and prepared is not a luxury!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Grow your savings’ is closed to new topics and replies.